Sunday, October 02, 2005

Sun's Changes to Blame for Part of Global Warming

LiveScience reported Increased output from the Sun might be to blame for 10 to 30 percent of global warming that has been measured in the past 20 years, according to a new report.

The nut cases will probably still blame it on Bush
Increased emissions of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases still play a role, the scientists say. But climate models of global warming should be corrected to better account for changes in solar activity, according to Nicola Scafetta and Bruce West of Duke University. The findings were published online this week by the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

TimWorstall blogged See, we can say, it’s not just us capitalist bastards who want to drown Bangladesh. Old Sol himself has it in for them as well!.... So we end up with this slightly odd position. The more the current warming is a natural phenomenon (and assuming that it doesn’t simply reverse itself similarly naturally) the more we have to change our own behaviour to stop adding to it.

Another way of looking at it is that clearly 30% is beyond our control. Maybe the remaining 70% is as well. A group of scientists are screaming Global Warming now; it was not that long ago they were screaming Global Winter, and predicting a new Ice Age. Maybe it is just a cyclical change that has been going on for millions of years.

ClaytonCramer blogged Since we don't really have a clear understanding of the connections between solar output, surface temperatures, and consequent natural processes that release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (for example, the carbon dioxide/limestone interaction), perhaps a little more humility is in order from the Kyoto Treaty proponents.

No comments: