Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Why Don't More Bloggers Participate On Other Blogs?

Jim Logan blogged I read a good number of blogs, across a variety of topics - marketing, sales, general business, fitness, exercise, diet, personal and investment finance - about 168 altogether. The reason I read blogs is for breadth of perspective. I believe reading blogs gives me greater perspective on options, ideas, and alternatives on the subject matter I’m reading. I don’t think you should just read blogs though, you should join a blog – comment, voice an opinion, join in the conversation. That’s what makes reading blogs valuable, you can participate.

I completely agree. If a blogger has trackback's enabled (as Jim does), a blogger can post on his own blog and trackback to the other blogs post, thus exposing both blog's readers to his thoughts, and if trackbacks are not available, one can still comment.
Participation expands the discussion and broadens understanding. It’s a way to share ideas and mature thought. Using my blogs and blogging experience on other sites, it’s amazing to me how many bloggers you never see attributed to a comment. Indeed, there are many bloggers that comment and participate on other blogs, mine included…it just seems it’s the same small group of bloggers you see commenting everywhere. A very small group. Why don’t more bloggers join in the experience of other blogs?
And even if a person does not have the time to have a blog of their own, why don't they participate in the blogs they read by leaving comments with their thoughts.

No comments: