Thursday, November 23, 2006

In Memory of Lizzie’s “Troop Batteries”

MsUnderestimated blogged On the Montel Show today, one of his heroes he honored was a little girl named Lizzie, who died at the age of 13 on May 12, 2006. She suffered her whole life with cystic fibrosis, juvenile arthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis, yet her goals and dreams were to do something for the troops.

She learned that one of the things they needed were AA batteries, and she had a goal of sending them one million batteries. Her mother and grandmother are carrying on her goal, and if you go to her website you will see that they are a little more than halfway to her goal. 585,872 batteries were sent as of 11/20/06. Can you help increase that number?

Watch Lizzie’s story here. Montel adds the normal liberal jab at the war, and her mother tells him Lizzie had an answer for those that said that:

Lizzie always said “don’t talk to me about my politics; talk to me about my project. It has nothing to do with my politics. It has to do with my supporting the men and women who are over there doing something for me. If they get four little batteries from me, how excited will they be!? And then I know that I will have done one tinly little thing for them.”
Montel was put in his place by the words of a courageous little girl who is now an angel in heaven, welcoming home the soldiers killed in Iraq.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don,

Thank you for this wonderful post. Liz was trully an admirable kid.

I can't help but post this remarkable tale on my site as well. Thanks for the H/T.

I couldn't stop 'being misty' for a long while after I read this.

So sad.