Friday, May 20, 2005

Cox Broadband Blacks Out

Internet News reported More than 2 million Cox Communications broadband customers lost their connections Friday after the cable operator's Internet backbone went down, a spokesman for the Atlanta company confirmed. "We're still investigating the root cause of the problem," Bobby Amirshahi, a Cox spokesman, told internetnews.com. Amirshahi said the outage affected all of Cox's broadband customers -- both consumers and businesses.

It certainly affected my blogging today. My blog stayed up, because it is not hosted on Cox, but I could not add new posts for a long time. I did some checking with online tools I have, and thought I saw something that might be the problem (their router table had a loop in it), and I tried several ways to get in touch with Cox to report what I found, and it was practically impossible. I figured their customer service reps would be busy, so I was prepared to wait on hold for a long time, but twice after waiting on hold for a long time they transferred me to a busy signal. Cox really needs to work on their voice mail system. They wont even give you the message that internet is down and they are working on it until you enter the last four digits of your social security number, and then if and when you get to speak to a technician, he/she still asks for the same information again. If they are going to make you give it again, WHY make you enter it via your telephone buttons?????

No comments: