Tuesday, February 22, 2005

BatesLine: On death row

BatesLine said: The judge has denied all stays of execution, and it may be beyond the Governor's powers to grant clemency. Today at 1 p.m. Eastern time, the attorney of Terri Schiavo's estranged husband will order the removal of Terri's feeding tube and allow her to starve to death in a Clearwater, Florida, hospice.

As I posted in a comment on his site: I hope and pray that if I am ever in a situation like Terri Schiavo, and if I have a loved one that understands I would not want to be kept alive in such a situation and is willing to let me go, that we will not find special interest groups and bloggers uniting to try to push for legislation or government action to force me to be maintained in such a terrible state and prevent me from Going Home to be with Jesus.

One of the other bloggers referred to this site and said the Second District's opinion in the first appeal in this case explains: By mid 1996, the CAT scans of her brain showed a severely abnormal structure. At this point, much of her cerebral cortex is simply gone and has been replaced by cerebral spinal fluid. Medicine cannot cure this condition. Unless an act of God, a true miracle, were to recreate her brain, Theresa will always remain in an unconscious, reflexive state, totally dependent upon others to feed her and care for her most private needs. and in a later opinion in the same case, the Second District further explained:"Although the physicians are not in complete agreement concerning the extent of Mrs. Schiavo's brain damage, they all agree that the brain scans show extensive permanent damage to her brain. The only debate between the doctors is whether she has a small amount of isolated living tissue in her cerebral cortex or whether she has no living tissue in her cerebral cortex."

If I am ever in such a state, or anything like it, please don't force me to stay here, but allow me to Go Home to be with Jesus.

No comments: