Thursday, May 26, 2005

Mr. Narcissus

Peggy Noonan editorialized in OpinionJournal You've heard the mindless braying and fruitless arguments, but I'm here to tell you the facts, no matter what brickbats and catcalls may come my way. Lindsey Graham defied the biases of his constituency to do what was right, not what was easy.

Whether he was right or not will be determined when we see whether the Dems are going to keep right on filibustering or whether they will hold off till a Supreme Court nomination is made. But either way I think Lindsey Graham shot himself in the foot.
Robert Byrd put aside personal gain to save our Republic.
Robert Byrd does not do anything unless he thinks it will mean more money for West Virginia.
David Pryor ignored the counsels of hate to stand firm for our hopes and dreams. Mike DeWine protected our way of life. These men are uniters, not dividers. How do I know? Because they told me. Again and again, and at great length, as they announced The Deal. And I believed them, because I am an idiot. Or as they might put it, your basic "folk" from "back home".... John McCain wryly reminded us not to miss A&E's biography of his heroic Vietnam experience. Joe Lieberman referred to the group as "this band of brothers, and sisters." But my favorite was Lindsey Graham, who said, "I know there will be folks 'back home' who will be angry, but that's only because they're not as sophisticated and high-minded as I am. Actually they're rather stupid, which is why they're not in the Senate and I am. But I have 3 1/2 years to charm them out of their narrow-minded resentments, and watch me, baby." Oh, excuse me, that's not what he said. That's only what he meant. It was the invisible scroll as he spoke. The CNN identifier that popped up beneath his head as he chattered, however, did say, "Conceited Nitwit Who Affects 'Back Home' Accent to Confuse the Boobs." Oh wait, that's not what it said. It said, "R-South Carolina." My bad. Actually, what Mr. Graham said was, "People at home are gonna be mad at me for a while." He said he decided to support the deal because "kids are dyin' " in Iraq, "Social Security is comin' up," and "this is a lot bigger than me." If only he knew that is true.
It is true, but the "agreement" does nothing about Iraq, it does nothing to stop the Dems from blocking anything on Social Security, and just about anything is bigger than Lindsey Graham
Salon writer S.Z. blogged here's a new quiz for you: identify which quote is from Ann Coulter; which is from nice Catholic lady (and former presidential speech writer) Peggy Noonan; which is from third-tier pundit Debbie Schlussel; and which is from laughing-stock of the internets Kaye Grogan

Scott @PowerLine blogged In his Daily Standard column Hugh Hewitt looks over the carnage wrought by the gang of 14 with a gimlet eye: "Non-nuclear fallout." Joining Hugh in a great burst of derision is Peggy Noonan over at OpinionJournal: "Mr. Narcissus goes to Washington."

K. J. Lopez blogged Well, the conservative base that is hating the GOP in the Senate will be loving, loving, loving Peggy Noonan today. Here's her translation of Lindsey Graham: "I know there will be folks 'back home' who will be angry, but that's only because they're not as sophisticated and high-minded as I am. Actually they're rather stupid, which is why they're not in the Senate and I am. But I have 3 1/2 years to charm them out of their narrow-minded resentments, and watch me, baby."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know I defy the what seems to be the conventional wisdom in my party that about the deal. I think it will turn out to be a good thing. I know ther are those who do not trust Lindsey Graham right now, but I do without questions. Sometimes it is better to wait and try something a little unconventional. If the deal holds, and I believe it will than what will there be to complain about? The judges will be voted on, other nominations will pass, and other policy initiatives will be worked on becasue of the deal.

I really think that we need to get past our biases and what we want in order to solve problems. I do not beleive that Sen. Graham shot himself in the foot. I believe instead that my party is at war with itself. We have different factions. I believe that one faction believes it has control because of the election. Graham has warned that the party will decline if there is not a start toward appealing to moderates. I think he is correct. Moderates, no matter, the type of race, and especially in Illinois, tend to sway elections.

The rules change may be inevitable and needed in the future. However, for now lets work with this deal and make it work for something; not try to destroy it becasue of mahority power or desire. It is a larger5 victory if the judges get through with out changing the rules.

Don Singleton said...

I know ther are those who do not trust Lindsey Graham right now, but I do without questions.

I don't trust anyone on this earth without question, even myself

If the deal holds, and I believe it will than what will there be to complain about?

I realize Bolton was not included in the deal, but the period of harmony and no filibusters certainly did not last that long. And if they just allow those three judges to be voted on, and filibuster everything else, will you say the deal is holding?

other nominations will pass

Are you sure? Only three were covered in The Deal

We have different factions. I believe that one faction believes it has control because of the election. Graham has warned that the party will decline if there is not a start toward appealing to moderates.

The party needs to appeal to all factions. If the moderates have some programs they want considered, they should propose them. Bush has somethings he wants to do to appeal to social conservatives, and other things he wants to do to appeal to economic conservatives and I would like to see both get the support of the entire party.