Sunday, May 22, 2005

Cool Domain Names

Ozh blogged ear 2004 — at least for me :) — was the year when something interesting occurred in the internet : a website went insanely popular, and part of its success was probably quite a unique name and branding, getting rid of the traditionnal dot com, but instead using its top level domain to make a fun name. You got it, I’m talking about del.icio.us

I must not be very observant. I have hear about del.icio.us, and even visited it (it is a social bookmarks manager which allows you to easily add web pages you like to your personal collection of links, to categorize those sites with keywords, and to share your collection not only among your own browsers and machines, but also with others). But I never looked at the URL without the dots, and so I did not realize it spelled out the word "delicious"
Indeed, del.icio.us opened my eyes and I realized the top level domain (the last part of it, after the last dot) could be more than a meaningless extension. It can be used to give your domain more sense, and more fun. So I went with a fun little (well not so little) exercise : have an idea of a cool domain to register for every top level domain available. That’s right ladies and gentleman, here are 249 suggestions for your next site or weblog domain, from .ac to .zw (well, at least I tried with 249 domains, but some were really unusable :)

You can go to his site to read all of them, but some that I found the best were
  • .ar (Argentina)
    brick.and.mort.ar is your next offline startup
  • .ca (Canada)
    I’ll avoid a too easy er.oti.ca and chose re.pli.ca for a webspace where you sort of duplicate yourself :)
  • .er (Eritrea)
    Yet an.oth.er easy to use top level domain. Get blo.gg.er while if you can !
  • .ie (Ireland)
    zomb.ie would make an awesome code related website I think. Or sw.eet.ie for your usual pet blog :)
  • .il (Israel)
    Lots of possibilities with ev.il things. I like thum.bna.il as something related to pictures.
  • .ky (Cayman Islands)
    Choice here. You’d be un.luc.ky not to find something for you :)
Note for some of these country TLDs, you must own a company or trademark with a name which is coherent with the domain name, and often it must be in that country, and registration for some of these foreign domain names is very expensive, but they are cute, regardless.

No comments: