Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Miss Everett Teen USA 2004 enlists in Army

Seattle Times reports Miss Everett Teen USA 2004 is putting away her sash to put on a U.S. Army uniform. Last summer, Jennifer Cabanayan appeared at community events, including the Mukilteo Lighthouse Festival and the National Night Out Against Crime, as Miss Everett Teen USA 2004. Now she has enlisted in the Army and will leave for boot camp at Fort Jackson, S.C., on Aug. 11. The petite brunette says Army service has always been in the back of her mind. "I'm capable, I'm healthy. This is the right thing to do," said Cabanayan, who attended Cascade and Marysville-Pilchuck high schools before earning her GED. "I cannot wait for that moment of putting on a uniform. It gives you that honor." Paulene Saylor, Cabanayan's mother, said her daughter comes from a military family. Saylor's father, Otis Saylor of Stanwood, served two tours in Vietnam with an Army airborne unit. His granddaughter will follow in his boot steps. After basic training, she'll go to airborne jump school at Fort Benning, Ga.

TheAnchoress blogged From Beauty Queen to Gy-rene? Is that how to spell Gy-rene? Please correct me, you Marines, out there! Anyway, she’s not joining the Marines, she’s joining the Army. But Army didn’t rhyme. :-) This is a pretty cool story. Ace, who points out that the usual “we support the troops but not Bush’s war” folks are wishing her ill. Sigh. Well, I wish her the best, anyway.

Ace blogged Over at Fark, where this story was found, the usual suspects are wishing death on her. But they support the troops, you know.

Joe Gandelman blogged Well, there go two common stereotypes: that cliched idea that anyone who enters a beauty contest doesn't ponder big issues and the cliched idea that today's generation is more interested in self than society

Like the others, I commend Jennifer for her decision

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Jenny's mom and I am very proud of my daughter for chosing to serve her country at time alot of people are afraid to or have other important things to do. She and others like her deserve our love, support and respect. They are doing a job others refuse to do. And they do it with honor and integrity. God Bless my baby girl and keep her safe. Mom

Don Singleton said...

I echo your prayers, and I thank you for your daughter's service

Anonymous said...

Haha! Are you kidding me!? I went to AIT with this chick. Talk about a spoiled bitch! She was one of the most self centered and whiny people I have ever met in my life. And it was really "honorable" when she went AWOL and then deserted. Very nice. In war time, that's punishable by death. Army's gone soft....