Monday, February 28, 2005

Immigration

Michaelle Malkin referred to a post by PoliPundit which she says is a simple, humane, effective plan. It was based on some questions from The Hedgehog Blog.

What is your plan, and how will you get it enacted?

PolPundit wants to crack down on employeers who don't check social security numbers by using a pilot program for an Internet-based Social Security number verification service that can verify up to 10 SSNs instantaneously.

Gee that sounds nice. Fake document producers will have an ability to run 10 numbers through the system to find one that will check out, and then they can make up a false social security card for an illegal.

Clearly this will not work until we get identification cards that are not so easy to forge.

Do you really think the American public has the stomach to see 10 million people deported, many of whom have been here all their lives?

We are making a mistake if we worry about whether we should kick out illegals or whether we should let them stay. We need a system with an ID card that is difficult, if not impossible, to forge, and then make sure employeers check for that ID card. I really don't care whether we provide them that card here in the US for an illegal that has been here all his life, or whether he has to get it at the border coming in. He should not be able to get a job without it, and it should indicate whether he is a citizen or not, and if he is not a citizen we should be able to track him.

If the public is not ready to do that, are you prepared to see the Republican Party spend the political capital necessary to convince them?

I really do not care whether we deport the 10 million that are here now and make them come through the border again to get a secure ID card, or whether we provide it here in the country.

I have no problem with Bush's Guest Worker program. But whether the workers for that program are here already or come over to fill a need, they should have an unforgable ID card that says whether they are citizens or not.

3 comments:

Lowell Brown said...

This is an excellent contribution to the debate, which I helped along, but which really started with Tamar Jacoby's piece in the Weekly Standard. The link is on my blog. I don't mind a national ID card but it will require a great deal of political capital to get one. Privacy advocates will go nuts, and the Democrats will be screaming "Big Brother!"

Lowell Brown said...

By the way, you noted that you don't see a trackback link on my blog. I will now reveal my lack of blogging expertise and ask, how do I set one up? Thanks again for your comment.

Don Singleton said...

I emailed him directly, but for others who may be interested in his question By the way, you noted that you don't see a trackback link on my blog. I will now reveal my lack of blogging expertise and ask, how do I set one up? the answer is to check out http://www.haloscan.com/