Saturday, June 11, 2005

The Greatest Americans Of All-Time

Right Wing News blogged The Discovery Channel is doing a show on the 100 greatest Americans and is allowing people to vote on their selections.

At this point, they've weened it down to 25 choices, and quite frankly, a lot of the selections are just godawful. I mean we're talking about a list that includes Oprah Winfrey, Bill Clinton, and Bob Hope (among other lousy choices), but not James Madison, Tom Paine, or Teddy Roosevelt. That tells you all you need to know about how well America's public schools teach history.

What's that? You say since I'm talking trash about the Discovery Channel list, I should put my own list out there? Sounds fair enough. Here is my unranked list of the 20 greatest Americans:

John Adams
Thomas Edison
Albert Einstein
Henry Ford
Ben Franklin
Alexander Hamilton
Andrew Jackson
Thomas Jefferson
Martin Luther King
Abe Lincoln
Douglas MacArthur
James Madison
Tom Paine
George S. Patton
Ronald Reagan
Teddy Roosevelt
Jonas Salk
William Tecumseh Sherman
George Washington
Orville And Wilbur Wright

Now, if that's enough for you, you can take a look who the blogosphere thought were the greatest Americans back in 2003, on the right & the left.

Furthermore, as an extra added bonus, if there are any bloggers out there who'd like to post their own lists, link back to this post, and then let me know about it in the comment section, via email, or via trackback, -- I'll link to your list.


Here is my list:
John Adams
Thomas Edison
Albert Einstein
Henry Ford
Ben Franklin
Alexander Hamilton
Andrew Jackson
Thomas Jefferson
Martin Luther King
Abe Lincoln
Douglas MacArthur
James Madison
George S. Patton
Ronald Reagan
Teddy Roosevelt
Jonas Salk
George Washington
Alexander Graham Bell
Dwight Eisenhower
George W Bush

1 comment:

Don Singleton said...

I certainly think that GWB belongs in the list.

If I was going to make a top 100 list it would have included people like Mother Tereasa and Pope John Paul and I would not have included Fred Astaire, Louis Armstrong, e. e. cummings, Cecil B. DeMille, Hugh Heffner, Hedy Lamarr, Joe Lewis, Paul Newman, Elvis Presley, Dr. Seuss, and others.