Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Illiterate Teacher

KGTV San Diego reported John Corcoran graduated from college and taught high school for 17 years without being able to read, write or spell.
Is there any wonder why our public school system is as bad as it is?
... For 17 years Corcoran taught high school for the Oceanside School District. Relying on teacher's assistants for help and oral lesson plans, he said he did a great job at teaching his students.
I bet the teacher's union helped him cover it up.
"What I did was I created an oral and visual environment. There wasn't the written word in there. I always had two or three teacher's assistants in each class to do board work or read the bulletin," said Corcoran.
It must have been a rich school district to be able to afford so many teacher's assistants.
In retrospect, Corcoran said, his deceit took him a long time to accept.
Think how his students, and their parents feel.
"As a teacher it really made me sick to think that I was a teacher who couldn't read. It is embarrassing for me, and it's embarrassing for this nation and it's embarrassing for schools that we're failing to teach our children how to read, write and spell!"

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: