Saturday, September 03, 2005

Slogging, and Blogging, Through Katrina

WaPo reported When people prepare for hurricanes, they do many things: top off gas tanks in cars, fill bathtubs with water, buy water, charge up mobile phones and check evacuation routes. I did all these things. And I started a blog.

Sounds like Kaye has her priorities straight. I would have skipped the charge up mobile phone step, because I don't have one, but otherwise it is just as I would have done. <grub>
Hearing that Hurricane Katrina was making her way to Louisiana, I started the blog to keep my loved ones updated about my safety. Even though I have been through many hurricanes, this would be the first I would go through alone. Why not just leave? I thought I had to work on Tuesday. I didn't naively assume that the audience for Kaye's Hurricane Katrina Blog was limited to my loved ones; I knew others might be interested in my "coverage." Even so, I blogged my account in a very personal way. Within hours my readership expanded from my family in Florida, Kansas and Texas to people in Israel, Germany and across the United States. With A-list blogs (whose audiences rival those of small weeklies) linking to my site, the word that I was blogging the storm spread quickly.

2 comments:

k said...

Well, turns out I used my mobile phone (BlackBerry) to post when the power went out. :)

Don Singleton said...

Then I am glad you had one I probably would have one too, except I am disabled and homebound. I do have a cane phone (a cordless phone velcroed to my quadcane), but would not be of any use if I was not in my home.