Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Saved by a Soccer emblem based on the Third Crusade

The Sun Online - News: Great save by Pompey A Briton escaped being killed by Muslim fanatics — because they thought his Portsmouth Football Club sticker was an Islamic emblem. Terrified Tony Restall, 56, was ambushed by Arab fundamentalists in strife-torn Yemen. The bandits, armed with AK-47 rifles, dragged him and his armed guard out of their car and threatened to either execute or take them hostage. Then they spotted Pompey fan Tony’s club sticker in a window and thought the moon and star symbols meant he was a practising Muslim.... “But they spotted my Portsmouth FC sticker and the mood changed. They thought I was Muslim as the star and moon are Muslim symbols. “I was able to convince them that, although I was Western, I was helping Muslims in the area.”.... Portsmouth FC based their badge on the city’s 900-year-old coat of arms. The crest used the symbol of King Richard’s chancellor William de Longchamp, who adopted a crescent moon and star in honour of the Third Crusade.

I am very happy he was saved, and I think it is particularly interesting that the emblem that saved him was based on the Third Crusade

No comments: