Saturday, March 26, 2005

Wake up and find the Clocky

NewYorkDailyNews reports Gauri Nanda, a 25-year-old scientist at MIT's Media Lab, has come up with a gizmo she calls "Clocky" that's designed to get sleepyheads moving.

It looks like a roll of toilet paper covered with shag carpeting - or one of those Tribbles from "Star Trek" - with wheels attached at both ends.

When the snooze button is pressed, the clock rolls off the table and trundles to a hiding place where it lies in wait for 10 minutes before going off again.

And every day it rolls to a different hiding place.

"People are always talking about finding a gentle way to wake up," said Nanda. "I wanted something that's annoying like a dog, that forces you to get up, but that you love even though it's annoying."


Guardian reports It looks annoying, like a furry swiss roll on wheels. Even its name is irritating: Clocky. But that's nothing compared with what it does. Clocky is surely the most infuriating wake-up call ever devised.

The first time I saw this I went right passed it, thinking that's stupid, but then I kept thinking about it, so when I ran across it again, I decided to blog it.

No comments: