Friday, March 25, 2005

The Coming War on Blogs

Tech Central Station reports It's a universal law of capitalism: when an industry faces a new and significant threat to its profits and powers it turns to the government for protection. Well, bloggers who write on current events are challenging the mainstream media (MSM), the most politically well-connected industry in America. Watch for the MSM to start using their political influence to burden bloggers.

But won't the First Amendment protect blogs? Unfortunately, courts already hold that many governmental restrictions on speech don't violate the First Amendment, and I can think of three areas in which the MSM might successfully change laws and regulations to hinder their blogger competitors:

  1. Campaign Finance Reform -- Blog entries in support of a candidate could be considered political contributions to that candidate.
  2. Libel Law -- The MSM used to fight aggressively against any expansion of libel law, but I predict this soon will change. The MSM can handle the burden of defending itself from libel suits much more easily than bloggers can.
  3. Copyright Law -- Blogs often use information from other sources and, from what I have observed, sometimes flagrantly violate copyright laws.
The Democratic Party will likely assist the MSM in their attack on blogs, not because most blogs are pro-Republican but because blogs are not as consistently liberal as the MSM.

Roger Ailes blogs Here's a Tech Central Station column that's chock full of phony premises, logical fallacies, intellectual dishonesty, anti-intellectual dishonesty, old skool dishonest dishonesty, fabrication, projection, paranoia, hallucination and drivel. The thesis: The liberal "MSM" and the Democratic Party are going to conspire to change the law in order to destroy bloggers, oh yes they will, just you wait and see! This guy makes Michael Barone look honest and rational.

Pejman Yousefzadeh blogs A very thought-provoking column by James D. Miller. I am not sure if the whole of the Democratic Party is as anti-blog as he portrays it--after all, the Left Blogosphere has grown quite considerably in the past few years. But Miller is quite right to point out the mainstream media's antipathy towards the Blogosphere, and to warn that Big Media will not mind seeing the Blogosphere handicapped.

Betsy Newmark blogs John D. Miller has a depressing column about the "coming war on blogs." He theorizes that blogs will soon be vulnerable from laws affecting campaign contributions, libel, and copyrights. There may be some point to the last two, but the campaign contribution one really gets my goat.

Glenn Reynolds blogs He has some thoughts on how that might take place. More worries here. Meanwhile, note this stirring defiance from law professor blogger Tom Smith: "they can stop us from blogging and saying whatever we think, especially about political candidates, when they pry our keyboards from our cold, dead fingers."

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

If mainstream media wasn't so bias, expecially in small towns, we wouldn't need to blog. As for myself, I find this a steady way to vent. I occassionally blog, not always, however, I usually find Don Singleton very interesting, so keep up the good work Don!!! But, doesn't this cut into your real life?

Anonymous said...

Blogging is a form of entertainment and also information. I think if it were a real threat,(it isn't), people would protest more. Actually today I saw protesters in the next town with signs that said IMPEACH CHANEY AND BUSH. I thought it interesting that they would put Chaney's name first. Come on now, if blogging is internet in the making, why would it be a problem for the any news media. If the news media would do their job and NOT TAKE SIDES, (ACTUALLY, I have some first hand experience seeing this), come on now, no wonder blogging became so popular. I don't think all news media do this, but I come from an era when news was serious stuff. It doesn't seem that way anymore. There is so much garbage in the news in any venue.

Anonymous said...

Don, I guess I keep writing because I want to interject some more of my opinion today. I did the last two blogs and just want to say that I think you must put a lot of time and energy into this. I know you must spend tons of hours on this, and you do command results and you get it. Bravo in the most gracious state of being. I am a freelance writer myself.

Anonymous said...

I will never write for my local paper again. If you don't agree with them, you don't get published.

Don Singleton said...

Yes it cuts into my real life, but that is so pathetic, that I blog.

In terms of why they want to imoeach Cheney first, if they impeached Bush, and somehow got a 2/3 vote in the Senate to remove him, then Cheney would become President, and while they hate Bush, they are even more afraid of Cheney as President

Anonymous said...

Don, Chaney has a bad heart. Do you really think he is that much of a threat? I say, let the old guy die in peace. He won't be in office that much longer anyway.

Don Singleton said...

I do not view Cheney as a threat; the left wing blogosphere does. I think he has done a good job.

Anonymous said...

Since I am from New York, you can guess where my political alliance lies. Even so, I consider myself an Independent voter. Thanks Don, for some great reading material! In any case and/ or can of worms, whoever runs for President *it should be a close race, no matter who the candidates are. Keep up the great blogging and please Don, you are a good writer - put more of your obvious talent elsewhere!
Surely you are alot more than just computer literate!!!

Anonymous said...

I am backing up a bit to your remark about Chaney - let's put it this way, no matter who wins the presidency, or who runs for whatever, people will complain and find fault. That's what freedom of press is suppose to be about. When all is said and done, everyone praises the other. Just seems to me that all is forgiven, or is it? Do you think Gore will ever run again, or is he just too involved with the "green" movement.
I don't think another "Bush" of this generation will ever run for anything. Who could forget the hanging chads - where the heck were they hanging and were they ever found. Some say yes and some say no. I come from a mixed political amusing family. By that I mean that my mother was a Republican and my father was a Democrat. I have been both and now, what the heck does it matter!

Anonymous said...

I would also like your opinion on this.... was it worse that Clinton fooled around in the White House, or worse that Guiliani had 3 wives. Is it worse that as a woman, it is hard to respect Ms.Rodham-Clinton*for ignoring a possible divorce, or is it Guiliani's opinion about abortion that will undo the strong Catholic opinion about him. Hey, I'm even starting to respect Ms. Pirro more now that she is divorcing Al. I think Judge Judy should preside in all the above. You just have to have a sense of humor these days....

Don Singleton said...

I believe Clinton's was worse because it was done in the Oral Office. Reagan respected that room so much he would not even take his coat off in it. Clinton had his pants at half mast. I also hate to think what Hillary and her lesbian Muslim lover will do there.

Hillary did not divorse him because she wanted his support to be elected herself. Once she gets in, she will probably send him packing.

Don Singleton said...

Ig Gore ran, he would not be elected. By that time it will be obvious he lied about Global Warming

Anonymous said...

I knew "she" *Hillary was up to something when she added Clinton to her last name. After all, I guess she figured that the blue dress would not be a factor, if she ran for President. The way I see it, she won't get in. It does seem, however, that Bill is quite popular, not just with the ladies. He must have that old charisma that SHE is counting on!!!
My sister and I totally disagree on this issue. She says that Bill's behavior in the White House, doesn't effect the Presidency. I disagree. Family life and values - where where they?
Did Mr. Clinton ever answer this question? All I remember was something about him being a womanizer in the worst sense of the word.