Sunday, May 20, 2007

Dress "offensive" to Islam

The Daily Telegraph reported This is the outfit that has been labelled "offensive" and "disrespectful" to the Muslim community.

Twenty-three-year-old journalist Latika Bourke was verbally attacked bya group of Muslim men outside a Sydney mosque because of her dress. "This young man approached me and said: 'You should be wearing more clothes. You need to cover up, you mutt','' Ms Bourke, who works for 2UE Radio, recounted. Ms Bourke, who was wearing a black trenchcoat, knee-high boots and gloves, said she was shocked and humiliated. "I'm just incredulous as to why they would say that ... what else is there to cover up? They are doing themselves no favours by behaving like this.''
Especially since they were about to get some free publicity, and this action caused that publicity to be negative.
Ms Bourke was waiting to interview controversial mufti Sheik Taj Eldeen Alhilaly at Lakemba mosque when a man aged about 20 confronted her..... Ms Bourke, a Christian, said she was very conscious of the need to respect other people's religions. "I knew it was important to cover up when you go to a mosque and that's why I wore a long coat and gloves. "As soon as it happened I looked at myself and thought, 'What am I wearing that is offensive?'''
Apparently he wanted you to wear a burka

No comments: