Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Telling it like it isn't

Robert Fisk wrote in Los Angeles Times I first realized the enormous pressures on American journalists in the Middle East when I went some years ago to say goodbye to a colleague from the Boston Globe. I expressed my sorrow that he was leaving a region where he had obviously enjoyed reporting. I could save my sorrows for someone else, he said. One of the joys of leaving was that he would no longer have to alter the truth to suit his paper's more vociferous readers....

The article goes on to bemoan pressure not to call Benjamin Netanyahu as "right wing", or not being allowed to call Jewish settlements as colonies, or calling "occupied" Palestinian land as "disputed", and other examples of not being able to be as left wing as Robert Fisk apparently wants to be, but it makes me think of the number of times the press distorts what is happening in Iraq and elsewhere, to please a left wing editor.

No comments: