Gail Collins, Op-Ed Columnist wrote in NYTimes Thanksgiving is next week, and President Bush could make it a really special holiday by resigning. Seriously. We have an economy that’s crashing and a vacuum at the top. Bush — who is currently on a trip to Peru to meet with Asian leaders who no longer care what he thinks — hasn’t got the clout, or possibly even the energy, to do anything useful. His most recent contribution to resolving the fiscal crisis was lecturing representatives of the world’s most important economies on the glories of free-market capitalism.
And do you think that is not a good idea.Putting Barack Obama in charge immediately isn’t impossible.
Have you ever read The United States ConstitutionDick Cheney, obviously, would have to quit as well as Bush.
Do you know anything about Order of Presidential Succession? If the president resigns, the next inline are:
* The Vice President Dick Cheney
* Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi
* President pro tempore of the Senate Robert Byrd
* Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
* Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson
* Secretary of Defense Robert Gates
* Attorney General Michael Mukasey
* Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne
* Secretary of Agriculture Edward T. Schafer
* Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez (born in Cuba and is ineligible)
* Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao (born in Taiwan and is ineligible)
* Secretary of Health and Human Services Mike Leavitt
* Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Steven C. Preston
* Secretary of Transportation Mary E. Peters
* Secretary of Energy Samuel Bodman
* Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings
* Secretary of Veterans Affairs James Peake
* Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff
I don't see Obama's name there anywhere
And do you think he is as tired as Bush, or wouldn't he love a couple of months in the top chair.In fact, just to be on the safe side, the vice president ought to turn in his resignation first. (We’re desperate, but not crazy.)
Then to be safe, maybe Bush should stay.Then House Speaker Nancy Pelosi would become president until Jan. 20. Obviously, she’d defer to her party’s incoming chief executive,
Really????? She and Obama have been having battles as to who is top dog. Don't you think she would adjourn the house and hope she could take over the White House for a two month emergency, and stil figure out a way of staying Speaker of the House in January. I know there was a movie about that, but I don't know whether the examined all of the loopholes involved.and Barack Obama could begin governing.
No then you have Robert Byrd, who is so old they want to take him out of the order of succession, and you then have 15 cabinet officers, all Republicans, and only two ineligible, and even if you could talk all of them into not wanting some time at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Obama still is not in the Order of Presidential Succession. Maybe you need to talk to your doctor and see if he will just sedate you until January 20. And if Obama loses in 2012, are you going to be as eager to see him go and his replacement take over? What if he is a Republican? Or if Obama is reelected in 2012 he will be term limited. Are you going to be as eager to see him go before January 20, 2017 and his replacement take over? What if he is a Republican?